- Press START TEST. Read the text at your own pace.
- In the end press STOP TEST. Your reading speed is displyed on the screen.
- Press OK and complete immediately the questionnaire for conclusive results.
- Press SHOW MEMORY RESULT, check the correct answers and SEND QUESTIONNAIRE.
He tried solving a Rubik’s cube when his father appeared on the television. He was in the classroom, and the reportage lasted a few minutes. It was quite obvious, that he was overwhelmed, but he did just fine. He managed to announce that he is getting close to end the first course of Speed Reading in the country, something he was very proud of.
- How would you shortly describe Speed Reading? How does it help us?
- It is a tool dedicated to everyone who wishes to increase their reading speed. With training, the eyes’ muscles learn to focalise words faster and faster. Normally, the muscles focalise a word in approximately 250-300 milliseconds. This means a reading speed of approximately 250 words per minute. I repeat, with training this focalising time can be reduced to 30 milliseconds.
- But this means almost ten times less! – the reporter exclaimed.
- I know, isn’t it wonderful what our bodies are capable of? – replied the psychologist with a smile on his face.
- Still, you didn’t tell us about the use of this Speed Reading tool.
- Firstly, it is beneficial for everyone who reads. It will help them to gain more time! It will help them to finish a book much faster. Then, I address myself to companies and people who work in an environment where they need to read a lot. For example, law. There is even a beta version where we made the tool specifically for economists, mathematician, physicists.
- How does an application like this work?
- The same way as the current Speed Reading tool, meaning, quickly focalising on whatever element on a page, indifferently where it is on the page, whether it is a number or a formula. Speed Reading helps a lot in developing peripheral vision as well, thing that comes in handy for those who need to solve an equation which extends on more rows in a page.
- Can it be applied to children?
- Yes, it can be perfectly applied to children. These, in the moment they learn to read, they do it aloud. Also, each of us learns to read like this. Further, reading aloud is given up, however the brain continues to send signals to the vocal chords. Anyone who reads with a speed under 900 words per minute uses their vocal chords while reading.
- So, you are telling me that when I read, I mimic that I am talking? – the reporter asked, fascinated.
-Yes, something like that. The vocal chords are working, vibrating, mimicking reading. If we manage to give up on this reflex that became conditioned, then the brain will send more information towards the eyes’ muscles, allowing a better understanding of the text and much higher speeds.
- Let’s get back to children! How does Speed Reading help them?
- The children will learn to read intermittently, word by word. The trainings we do have the role of teaching the student to read groups of adjoined words. This way, they will go through a text a lot faster and will also understand the word groups. They won’t only concentrate on one word at a time.
- How long is a training? If I start the training, what do I have to do?
- I elaborated versions of trainings that last three weeks and versions that last a month. Regarding the way a training looks like, I can tell you that first of all, you will take a test, in order to see at what level you are, how many words per minute do you read. Then, according to your results, you will start your trainings at a slightly higher speed. The trainings are done by word groups and at increasing speeds. So, if the test shows that you read 300 words per minute, then the training will start at 350 words per minute. You will have to follow a cursor on a half-page long text. The cursor will highlight word groups. The same text will firstly be read with a speed of 350 words per minute with groups of two words, after which you will go on reading at six increasing speeds. When the seven speeds are over, there will appear another text, which will be read the same way as the first one, but with three grouped words. The next text will have four grouped words and so on, until you reach seven grouped words. A training lasts approximately half an hour.
- You mean that I will read seven adjoined words? Let’s see how a training looks like! You made me curious!
On the tv screen the text appeared with the cursor that had to be followed. The psychologist suggested to firstly show a normal reading speed, 250 words per minute and two grouped words. Then, he increased it to 1000 words per minute and five grouped words.
The reporter put her hand to her mouth and exclaimed when she tried to follow the cursor that grouped seven words and ran at speeds of 2000 words per minute.
- It’s incredible! Is there anyone who can read at such speeds?
- Yes, there is! But our goal is to increase everyone’s speed based on the level they currently are. Who reads with 1500 words per minute could increase their speed to 2000 words per minute, but honestly, that’s a lot.
- Mister Psychologist, I want to let you know that you won me! – the reporter laughed, loosening the atmosphere. I want to do the Speed Reading course myself. I will also talk with my colleagues from the redaction, maybe they would be interested as well.
The psychologist smiled, enjoying the girl’s reaction and happy, because such a reaction will surely make a good impression on the viewers and potential clients. The boy in front of the tv waved at him, being happy that he saw his father on the tv, even though he couldn’t really understand what was his job. On the tablet in front of him a cursor was continuously moving on a text that seemed endless. The child sometimes stopped playing and looked at the tablet, following the cursor. Even though he couldn’t read yet and didn’t know what the cursor meant, his eyes were quickly moving, going through the text together with the cursor. His father set the cursor to 1000 words per minute.