- Press START TEST. Read the text at your own pace.
- In the end press STOP TEST. Your reading speed is displyed on the screen.
- Press OK and complete immediately the questionnaire for conclusive results.
- Press SHOW MEMORY RESULT, check the correct answers and SEND QUESTIONNAIRE.
The discussions in the classroom were lighted. Two at a time, each of them seemed to have some comments to add. Arguing or attentively listening, interrupting the interlocutor or waiting patiently their turn, the people in the room didn’t notice the psychologist’s entrance. This, somewhat surprised by the noise he came in to, sat down at the cathedra and watched them curiously, trying to understand as much as possible from the conversations of his students. At a certain moment, he coughed in his own specific way, attracting the attention on him.
- I am glad to see the disputes between you! They are really beneficial for you all. But maybe you would like to share them, so we could discuss them and see if they can be resolved, what do you think?
- I can’t find the necessary time to do the trainings, so I try to do them either when I find a little free time or even when I am at the office, when other colleagues are in the same room. But I have the impression that it isn’t working as well as when I do the training at home, alone.
- You are totally right! – the psychologist answered to the man who always appeared in a different suit, elegant and always wearing his black framed glasses. – Imagine that you have to learn something entirely new. Isn’t it easier to learn alone, in your room, or in the library, than to study in bar or club?
The classroom was filled with murmur, some students smiling, others talking.
- The same happens in the case of Speed Reading – the psychologist continued with a loud voice, covering the classroom’s murmur. – You need silence in order to concentrate and to be able to evolve.
- I notice that I am quite tired after the trainings. Is it normal for this to happen? – the French girl asked.
- No, it’s not at all normal for this to happen. I mean, it can happen after the first two or three trainings, until you get used to the Speed Reading tool. But after this, no. However, may I ask you something – the psychologist continued looking directly at the girl. Do you wear glasses?
The girl hesitated a moment, looking at the floor.
- I saw you at the third meeting wearing glasses. Were they for seeing or just for accessorizing?
- For seeing – the girl answered – but I only wear them rarely.
- Do you wear them while doing the trainings? – the movement of the girl’s head in sign of negation made the psychologist continue. – You are tired because your eyes need help to focalise. Not using this help, you will find it difficult to follow the cursor at high speeds and the focalisation will not be done correctly. I warmly recommend you to use your glasses. You will notice that the trainings will no longer make you tired.
- Any other suggestions, observations?
- I would have one more observation – the French girl continued, talking extremely correct. You could see the evolution she had speaking Romanian, from one meeting to another.
- Yes, please.
- At trainings, we must repeat the same five texts for a week. We read each text at a training approximately five times, at different speeds and with different word groups. This means that in a week we read the same text thirty-five times. At a certain moment, it is a lot easier reading the texts because we already know what comes next. Is this normal? Doesn’t it mean that we are cheating somehow?
- Don’t forget that these are trainings. Moreover, during trainings you need to try focalising the word groups and understanding their meaning. All this is done by following a cursor that moves on the text. The understanding of the text is done gradually, as you go forward with the training sessions. The words are always grouped in order to have a meaning and this helps in reading and understanding them. This is the strategy of Speed Reading. Then, as you get used to the technique, you will go on to understanding the text. The transition is done gradually and the results will be visible at the upcoming tests. However, in the fist phase of the training, you must make the effort to read and understand the word groups.
- Sorry to interrupt again, but I have another question and then I am done – said the French girls, having a wide smile on her face. – Sometimes I have the tendency to read ahead of the cursor. Is this correct?
- No, you don’t have to read the text beforehand. This aspect comes as an addition to my previous answer. The cursor and its moving speed must be followed and focalised by your eyes. If you read ahead of it, then you will no longer focalise on the word group selected by the cursor. What is more, you won’t understand the meaning of the selected group. The main idea of the Speed Reading tool is to gradually get to reading adjoined groups of words with a meaning.
- Now, if you don’t have more questions, I would like to make some observations before moving on.
The psychologist took a pretty long break, while he attentively looked at each person who was doing the training. They were at the half of the course and the test that was about to follow was going to show a lot of data. It was somehow emotional, being the first time doing the Speed Reading training in this format. But he had to go on and keep his calm and lucidity. There were people who managed to develop their reading speed and there were a few who evolved a little and then they stagnated.
- As you may already know, today we will have our third Speed Reading test. I feel the need to warn you that those of you who managed to evolve significantly, may now notice a moderation, a sedimentation of your reading speed. This means that you will get stabilized at a speed that you will probably remain on for the next few trainings, until you make your next leap.
- Stabilization – he continued, making a short break to find the right words. – Stabilization may be a demotivating factor sometimes. If you evolved from 350 words per minute to 450 words per minute, then to 500 words per minute, this doesn’t mean that at the next tests you remaining at a speed of 500 words per minute is a bad thing. Contrary, stabilizing prepares you for the next leap. At the third test, or maybe just at the fourth you will notice a new leap, let’s say around the value of 600 words per minute.
- And if we cannot pass that limit? – someone asked.
- Think about that focalising is possible at speeds of 30 milliseconds. At a speed of 600 words per minute, focalising is done at around 100 milliseconds. So, with training, the focalising speed can be considerably decreased, concomitantly increasing your reading speed! But let’s go now to test number 3!