- Press START TEST. Read the text at your own pace.
- In the end press STOP TEST. Your reading speed is displyed on the screen.
- Press OK and complete immediately the questionnaire for conclusive results.
- Press SHOW MEMORY RESULT, check the correct answers and SEND QUESTIONNAIRE.
They were checking each other out, waiting for the moment to drop the challenge. They were prepared for the incandescent moments that were to follow. Being at the last hundred meters, everyone was reading through their notes. Tiny drops of sweat were shining on their foreheads, drops that immediately disappeared under the stylist’s magic wand. The strong lights made them look pale, with dark eyes, denouncing an unwanted tiredness.
- In half a minute, we will go live! - said a voice audible in the whole studio.
Both were trying to calm down, to prepare themselves for the next hour. Each one of them was fighting with the thought that they will be seen by thousands of people and they could hear their hearts pounding. They were breathing in deeply, trying to moderate their heartbeats, lowering their pulse.
- We are live! – said the voice like a thunder for them.
The presenter did her job in the first minutes of the show, introducing and presenting the viewers to the day’s hot topic: “Can Speed Reading change the world?”
- Yes, it can! Speed reading is a tool that can improve in many ways our personal development.
- It only can? – said ironically a man dressed in an elegant suit, a slightly overweight senator, with grey hair and red cheeks, who dedicated himself to the fight against speed reading.
- Speed Reading represents the tool. The significant difference regarding the results are given by each individual. Speed reading develops the thinking centres, trains the eye muscles and increases the memory capacity.
- After a certain age, the muscles stop developing. – the senator replied.
- We are talking about training. We are talking about time at levels of milliseconds. Did you know that generally people read approximately 250 words per minute? Did you know that focalizing a word takes 250 milliseconds? Did you know that this can be reduced, by training of course, even to 30 milliseconds?
- You are getting into some technical details that, I think, bore out viewers! Why don’t you rather tell us the real interests behind this speed reading tool?
- The real interests, mister Senator, are the ones regarding the society and the people in it. A man who can read at a speed of 1,000 words per minute will manage to understand a lot faster what is happening around him. He will learn to read faster any book, text, shiny commercials, will be able to observe the street signs much faster, will have the possibility to react three times quicker than a usual person. I am sure that our society needs such people. We need evolution and development, mister Senator. We need young people who are capable of leading our country forward, towards a brighter future.
- You think, mister psychologist, that we are not looking for the same thing? – the senator’s eyes were trying to show some sort of superiority, but were transmitting a slight frustration. Self-control and possibly the long experience in tv shows like this made him tough as some samurai swords.
- I am not sorry for what I said. But I want to ask you a question, mister Senator. Before we went live, I asked you to do the speed reading test. Could you please share your results with us?
- I don’t consider the test relevant, given these conditions! Even you said, that this test needs to be done in silence, without noise, without interruptions. In a place where we can concentrate on reading.
- This is true, however I had students that did the test in worse conditions than the ones here. Let me explain your results in…
- How does a speed reading training look like? – the senator interrupted him suddenly, reading one of his notecards, that he had in front of him.
- Good, I’m glad you asked this.
The psychologist was looking for words, kind of trying to categorize them by their weight. He coughed and looked at the camera and started talking with a calm and even voice.
- The initial tests for finding out the reading speed allow me to put each individual in the group where he will evolve. This means that, if you read with 300 words per minute and had a memory capacity of 80%, then we will start trainings at the speed of 300 words per minute. Trainings consist of descriptive texts. The philosophy behind speed reading is focusing on groups of words. These can vary between two and seven words. The training consists in following a cursor that highlight the word groups, at increasing speeds, with the goal of training the eye muscles to focalize faster.
- So, are you saying that someone can focalize seven words at once and also understand them all?
- Yes, with systematic and intensive training you can reach these results, mister Senator! Generally, depending on the individual, focalization can be done on maximum two words. But because in this moment the eyes are taught to read intermittently, word by word, trainings can last quite a lot, respectively a month, until the brain gives up on focalizing intermittently on just one or maximum two words.
- Why is speed reading useful for us, mister psychologist? I have the impression that you are trying to offer a product that distracts us from what is truly important. And even though you describe it so beautifully what it is technically, I cannot stop but think about my childhood, when I put my book under the pillow at night, hoping that I will learn it until the morning.
- To shortly address your fears, speed reading is useful in different aspects, from editing to law, even in domains that have as a bas mathematics or programming. A person who can focus with a high speed can observe a lot faster the numbers and letters in a math equation and implicitly finding the resolution much quicker. I would like, mister Senator, because I see you so sceptical, for you to start the training and see, in a month, you will understand better and faster the laws that you promote. You must understand that speed reading is useful not for just you, but for everyone who needs to study texts. Speed reading isn’t limited to just increasing the reading speed, but it also increases the memory capacity and the concentration level.
Someone announced that an advertising is coming up. The senator didn’t have a reply, he found himself out of the subject and even though he had to represent the opposition, the usefulness of Speed reading completely disarmed him. He couldn’t find anything to fight the psychologist about, he didn’t have the necessary arms. His only chance was to embrace the idea of speed reading and become a supporter and promoter of it.